Maintaining Your Smoke Detector Can Save Your Milford Home from Fire Damage
Holy Smokes!! SERVPRO Says Install Smoke Detectors in Your Milford Property
For early detection of fire in your Milford home, a smoke alarm is critical. Not only can it save your home from burning down but it can save you and your family. Many things can cause a fire. They include misuse of an appliance, smoking in bedrooms and faulty wiring. Others include curious children playing with candles, matches or lighters. No matter how or where having a well-maintained smoke alarm is key to the safety of your family and home.
A smoke detector is a handy device that can reduce fire damage to your Milford home. For this to be possible, installation of smoke alarms in the kitchen and hallways is a must. There are two types of detectors: ionization and photoelectric. Ionization detectors have a small chamber. This chamber contains a small electric current. If smoke enters the chamber, ion levels change. That leads to a drop in the electric current causing the alarm to sound.
For the photoelectric model, it uses a beam of light to sense the presence of smoke. This beam shoots in a straight line if smoke is not present. If smoke is present, the beam scatters. That activates the alarm. At SERVPRO, we tell homeowners to follow these tips to maintain smoke detectors.
Test the detector every month
We recommend the testing of smoke detectors at least once a month. This helps to determine if the battery is dead or if the alarm is working. To test the device, press the button until an audible alert tone sounds.
Replace the battery
If you find the battery is dead, we recommend you replace it. Check the manufacturer’s instructions on how to replace the batteries. You can always know if the batteries are running low. How? The detector emits a low beeping sound. But, be doubly cautious and follow the wisdom of replacing the batteries when you reset your clocks for Daylight or Standard Time.
Vacuum the detector
After testing or replacing the batteries, we also recommend vacuuming the detector. This helps to remove any cobwebs, insects and dust build-up. Use a soft brush attachment for this process.
Following the maintenance tips above should cut losses and possibly save your family. If an emergency or mishap does occur from fire, water or mold problem, call our SERVPRO of Merrimack 24/7 emergency line at (603) 262-9293.
More about this NH town by clicking